Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What does Happiness Applied Mean?

I once heard a story about an American who was spending some time in Czechoslovakia. After a few days of acclimating himself, he felt like going out on a walk to explore the little village where he was staying. Strolling down the street he saw an old woman hanging clothes out to dry. Being in a cheery mood, the man exclaimed in his best Czech, “Good morning! How are you today?” To his surprise, and at length, the women began to answer his very question. Unable to understand Czech the man watched as the women moved her arms up and down while changing the tone and volume of her voice. The man walked away puzzled, unable to understand what he had said that elicited such a long response.


As Americans, we of course ask, “How are you?” out of politeness, not because we actually care. This strange cultural phenomenon has led me to reflect upon whether we should be more concerned with the question, both for ourselves and others, of: “How we are doing?” In other words, I have often found myself perplexed at how to answer the simple question “How are you?” (I mean, if I really had to answer it.)


In essence that is what this blog is about. It is about asking ourselves how we are doing, and then finding ways to improve whatever the answer happens to be. Further, it is a blog about what happiness is, and how we all can achieve it in our everyday lives. It is an ongoing, and evolving experiment, in how to lead a life that is meaningful and fulfilling.


Happiness Applied is my attempt to help myself and others apply the principles of happiness. Chances are you already know these principles; they are simple things like: spirituality, gratitude, optimism, sociality... etc. The problem arises where the rubber meets the road, the space where “know-how” becomes “doing.” If you are like me you might have found it hard to find ways to put into practice the often-nebulous counsels of: be grateful, let go of stress, or be more positive. It is my hope that through this blog I might be able to find and share Happiness Applied.

3 comments:

Michael and Shelley on March 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM said...

Well said. I think we all find ourselves moving through our days so quickly that we do not take the time reflect on our interactions with others, when these interactions are the experiences that have the most potential to teach us. We focus too much on the quantity of our days and not the quality. I see this discouraging trend day in and day out as a physician where the object of the day seems to have become more focused on seeing patients as fast as possible rather than "being grateful" for the opportunity to connect with another man or woman and share and learn and savor each individual experience, giving time to reflect on how we affect each others lives for the good. Thanks for starting this blog. I am sure that it will help me to slow down and take the time to answer how am I doing.

Ted Cross on March 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM said...

Mike,

Thanks for putting the first real comment on my blog. I think that one of the revealing things about today's culture is exactly what you just touched on: we are trying to do too much... and are 'on' all the time. I find my self glued to my phone or internet for minute by minute news updates. But why? Your right, what can we do to slow down...

Unknown on March 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Followers

Happiness Applied Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template